Le Camion Qui Fume, Burgers at Paris’s first food truck*

by phyllisflick on December 5, 2011

Like most American Expats in Paris, there are times when I crave things you can only get back home. BBQ, buffalo wings, a corn beef special, and a great burger all come to mind.

You can get burgers in Paris of course and will find them on just about every menu, but they’re usually average at best and rarely great. So, when I heard about a burger truck that was being launched by a Californian who studied at the French cooking school Ferrandi, I couldn’t wait to try it. Maybe, finally, we’d have great burgers in Paris.

So tonight in the rain, I took my step son to try what I hoped would be a real American burger, at a food truck no less which tweets their location by Twitter (and Facebook) everyday.

The verdict? Amazing. Homemade toasted rolls and freshly ground beef made for a particularly juicy burger with just the right amount of fat*. I had the blue cheese burger with caramelized onions, bleu d’auvergne and port wine sauce which was outstanding. My French guy had the classic with cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and mayo. These burgers kicked-ass compared to the burgers you normally get in Paris. The fries were unfortunately cold and soggy by the time I got home, but it was clear that these were hand-cut fries and not frozen, another sin most places in Paris make.

I was even a little bit proud eating my burger which proved that Americans can show the French a thing or two in the kitchen, at least when it comes to burgers. I can’t wait to return for their braised pork sandwich, onion rings and macaroni and cheese.

You can find out where they’ll be next, by following @LeCamionQuiFume on Twitter or Facebook or go to their website: www.lecamionquifume.com.

Le Camion Qui Fume
Opening times and location: @LeCamionQuiFume
Burger: 8 €; 10 € for a burger and fries

*This is technically not the first food truck in Paris since there are trucks all over making crêpes, but to my knowledge it’s the first that changes location on a daily basis, using social media to inform clients.

**Beef in France is typically grass-fed and extremely lean which may explain part of the French paradox, but it doesn’t make for a very good burger. Ground beef, or steak haché as its called here, is typically only 5 % fat in France, whereas most good burgers in the US are made with ground chuck-which is 20% fat.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Lindsey December 5, 2011 at 11:04

Want it!!!

Laidback December 5, 2011 at 17:15

I hope you ate it with your hands rather than the un-American knife and fork method!

Parigi December 5, 2011 at 20:47

Cher Laidback: According to California food truck etiquette, diners sit on pre-set-up chairs eating out of a deep plastic bowl. Last week in SF, DH and DMIL had the grandest time pigging out at the legendary Mission St Korean Taco truck while I attended a protocolaire family lunch. Am sooo going to check out this Camion Qui Fmue even if it is set up in Aubervilliers, and will report back.

phyllisflick December 5, 2011 at 22:45

Yes, definitely with my hands. I think I tried eating a burger with a knife and fork the first year I was here, trying to seem French. Now I really don’t care and would only eat a burger with my hands, no matter where I was :)

Parigi, the taco truck sounds great. Another thing I think we need in Paris is NY-style pizza by the slice.

Bryan December 6, 2011 at 01:34

Forget the Autolib, this is the only new form of transportation this city needs :P Glad you enjoyed it, too!

phyllisflick December 6, 2011 at 08:49

I’m ooking forward to going back for the braised pork and mac and cheese :)

phyllisflick December 6, 2011 at 08:49

I’m looking forward to going back for the braised pork and mac and cheese :)

adrian December 7, 2011 at 13:42

They were very tasty indeed!

Russell December 16, 2011 at 23:25

Interesting, and I’ll try and check out the van.

I don’t agree with your point about Parisian burgers being average, though. I’d rank them as a contemporary French speciality, to be honest.

Pops January 29, 2012 at 02:05

Se geler le cul dehors pour bouffer debout , non mercis!!!!!
Encore un truc de BOBOs